Organic Cloth Baby Diapers
Going green? In this article, we spotlight some of our top picks for organic cloth baby diapers and provide more information as well.
Enjoy this page? Share it!
Natural Goodness Inside
In organic diapers, the absorbent materials that sit against your
baby's skin are made of natural fibers that have not been grown with the
use of pesticides, and which have been processed into cloth without
bleaches and other harmful chemicals. Organic cloth baby diapers are
primarily cotton (which requires a lot of chemical inputs), but also
hemp and bamboo blends (which are generally grown without as many
Waterproof Protection Outside
Many of today's cloth diapers employ the most modern textiles available to increase performance and reliability without adding bulk. Even in organic diapers, the outer (waterproof) shells are made with waterproof materials like PUL and TPU, but the shells do not lay next to baby's skin.
If you would like to work with only natural materials, natural cover options are also available. Wool is breathable and can be waterproofed with lanolin. Prefolds and fitted cloth diapers pair wonderfully with wool covers for a more natural option.
Top 5 Organic Cloth Diapers
Organic diapers and baby clothing are growing in popularity. We've tested a lot of cloth diapers, and below are our 5 favorite organic cloth diapers, in no particular order.
Featured Organic Cloth Diapers
- Gro-Via All-in-One
- Flip Diaper Cover with Organic Cotton Inserts (training pant cover also available)
- Sustainablebabyish Bamboo Overnight Fitted
- Bummis Organic Cotton Prefolds
- Smart Bottoms 3.1
Smart Bottoms 3.1 Organic Cotton All-in-One
- In addition to being downright adorable (shown above in "Epic", check out all of their great colors and prints at Nicki's Diapers!), Smart Bottoms is
everything a beginner to cloth diapers could want - simple to put on,
easy to wash, great fitting, absorbent, and organic too! Read my full feature of this diaper for more photos, including some action shots! This is one of my favorite diapers!
- This single-piece design, known as an all-in-one, features a waterproof outer shell made of PUL fabric. The inside of the shell is lined with 2 heavy layers of soft jersey-knit organic cotton. The diaper has a sewn-in soaker, which is made up of 4
layers of heavy organic cotton. This soaker is longer than the diaper
and needs to be folded to fit, which then makes for 10 layers of
absorbent fabric - and just where you need it!
- 2 rows of rise snaps provide 3 settings to fit from 8-35+ lbs (not recommended for newborns)
- Available only in snap closures
- Made in the USA
- Cost - $25 from Nicki's Diapers
Flip Diaper Cover and Organic Inserts
- Flip covers are a popular one-size diaper cover that can be used over fitteds, prefolds, and flats - plus the Flip inserts from Cotton Babies. The flaps at the front and the back hold inserts, prefolds and flats in place while putting the diaper on baby
- I always have a Flip cover handy in my diaper bag - it fits a wide range of babies, from 8 to 35+ lbs thanks to the spandex tabs, making it the perfect back-up system when I am away from home longer than I planned
- Flip organic inserts are made with Oeko-Tex certified organic cotton they grow with your little one - they can be folded down to fit smaller babies, or laid flat for the largest size settings of covers.
- They are absorbent and a very simple diapering system since the inserts can be washed each time, while the covers can be wiped clean and re-used unless soiled.
- Covers $14.95 and inserts 3 for $18.95 in US from Nicki's Diapers
- Covers $16.95 and inserts 3 for $22.95 in Canada from Lagoon Baby
Sustainablebabyish Bamboo Overnight Fitted
- Made of an unbleached bamboo/organic cotton fleece with a variety of beautiful snap and serger thread colors
- Comes with a 3-layer doubler, and a 3-layer fold-over snap-in soaker for 12 layers of absorbency in the wet zone!
- Pair with a wool cover for a great overnight solution
- I bought this diaper as an overnight fitted for my newborn, and it held up over several night-time feeds, keeping him dry until morning
- Sustainablebabyish (Sloomb) plants a tree for every diaper purchased
- Comes in 5 sizes: X-Small (5-11 lbs), Small (9-16 lbs), Medium (14-22 lbs), Large (22-32 lbs) and X-Large (32+ lbs)
- $24.95 in US from Nicki's Diapers
- $26.95 in Canada from Lagoon Baby
Bummis Organic Prefolds
- Bummis makes beautiful and reliable cloth diaper products, and they are a favorite of mine.
- Made of unbleached 100% certified organic cotton twill
- Prefolds must be well-prepped before use - generally they recommend washing at least 8 times before they will reach their full absorbency. They will shrink during the initial washes, which results in a fluffy, soft diaper insert that is incredibly absorbent and very durable, too! I know of moms who have used their Bummis prefolds on 4 or more children
- We use these inserts inside Bummis or other diaper covers in a tri-fold - no pins or fasteners required (you can find our favorite diaper covers here)
- I keep a Bummis prefold and a Flip cover in the bottom of my diaper bag at all times - they are a perfect back-up system, and can also be repurposed as change pads, burp cloths, and even (un)paper towels when needed!
- 3 sizes: Preemie (4-9 lbs), Infant (7-20 lbs), and Baby (15-40 lbs). I have only ever purchased the Infant size - they are a bit bulky on a brand new newborn, but they can be used in a tri-fold tucked into a cover all the way up to the toddler stage.
- $18 for 6 from Nicki's Diapers in the US
- $19 for 6 from Lagoon Baby in Canada
- One-size with snap down rise adjustments that grow with your baby
- Waterproof outer made with polyester TPU laminate
- Made with soft organic cotton fleece, comes with a sewn-in soaker flap that dries quickly, and a snap-in booster for use at night or for heavy wetters.
- Available in a variety of cute prints
- Stretchy spandex side panels with side-fastening snaps - these take a bit of getting used to if you have been using snaps that fasten in the front, but they do fit beautifully without leaving red marks, and are less bulky than many diapers
- Also available in a newborn size, which is one of our top picks for newborn all-in-ones
- $23.95 each in the US from Gro-Via
- $29.99 each in Canada from Lagoon Baby
Go to top of