Our 2014 Gift Guide:
Christmas Gifts for Babies, Toddlers & Moms
Little ones can be so hard to buy for! In our gift guide, you're sure to find ideas for a Christmas gift for a special baby, toddler, or mom in your life!
Our gift guide is a little different. Rather than asking companies to submit products to be featured in our gift guide, we decided to create a guide simply based on products we love!
In the Thinking About Cloth Diapers Christmas Gift Guide we will introduce you to products that have earned a place in our home and our hearts - and a few new ones we're planning to bring into our own life this holiday season.
Please note - companies highlighted with a * offer special money-saving coupons in "Ditch the Disposables - The Big Book of Cloth Diaper Savings". If you would like to save money on these products, be sure to check out our coupon book here.
Gift Ideas for a Newborn
Newborns can be notoriously hard to buy for - and even more so if they aren't the first baby in the family! Most babies have more than enough clothes and blankets, and probably express more interest in your cordless phones and magazines (for shredding, of course!) than any toy you could put in front of them.
But if giving them an empty cardboard box isn't a real option for you, here are a few ideas for a Christmas gift for baby!
Featured Gift Ideas for Newborns
- Aden + Anais Swaddles shown in Vintage Circus. For a smaller gift, consider buying singles ($18.95 each) or open the box and hang onto a couple for future baby shower gifts. $49.95 for 4 pack from Amazon.com
- Baltic Amber Necklace - this fossilized tree resin contains a natural analgesic that can be absorbed through the skin, providing a soothing and calming effect when your little one is teething. Does it really work? We (and countless other parents) think so! $20.99 with free shipping from Lagoon Baby*
- RiNGLEY Zooley Monkey Teether made with natural organic cotton terry and untreated maple, this adorable teething toy was a huge hit in our home! $19.95 from Amazon.com
- Baby's First Christmas Ornament - I love buying special tree decorations for our children each year. I would suggest doing a Google search for Baby's First Christmas Ornament to find one that strikes your fancy.
- Custom Birth Stats Nursery Decor - there are lots of custom art options for nursery decor these days. We like this custom birth stats print from Rainbows & Lollipops Art on Etsy. Be sure to check out tons of adorable options in her shop! From $12 US.
- Oko Creations Merino Wool Baby Mittens fit from birth until 9 months, and are breathable. These mittens stay on and will keep your favorite little baby's hands warm but not sweaty! Hand-made in Canada from certified organic wool. $25 from Oko Creations.
- Cloth Diapers - Babies don't need much, but diapers are on the list of necessities, and if you are just starting out with cloth diapers, asking family to help you build your stash will be a gift that lasts long after the holidays are over! (Psst - if you aren't already using cloth diapers, read more about why you should consider them here). Shown is one of our favorites, the SoftBums Omni shell, which retails for $21.95 from Nicki's Diapers. Don't forget to add a bamboo or microterry insert for a full diaper change.
Christmas Gifts for Babies
Your baby can smile at you, roll over, and maybe even sit up - and a whole new world is opening up for both of you! You'll be sharing more time together for meals, outings, and activities, and we've got some great gift ideas to inspire you.
Featured Gifts for Babies 6+ Months
- Wool Longies - I never ventured into wool products until my second was born, and when I did, I fell in love quickly. They are NOT itchy, and are excellent for sensitive skin and for keeping babies warm and dry. Longies can serve as a diaper cover and pants all in one, perfect as pyjama bottoms over a night-time fitted. If you're not convinced, here's an article on the many reasons to love wool. Shown from Bumby* ($52 & up), or check Etsy for a variety of other brands.
- Kleen Kanteen Sippy Cup - Kleen Kanteen's reusable water bottles are a favorite in our house because of their wide openings and easy-to-clean interiors. Over the years, we've added sippy cups and sport caps to our growing collection. These bottles are made of 18/0 stainless steel, and the caps are free from BPA and other toxic substances. Available in a variety of colors, $13.99 on Amazon.com
- Ergo Winter Weather Cover - lined with soft, warm fleece and topped with water resistant nylon, this cover snaps up around your carrier, and can be cinched up around the bottom to keep your baby cozy and dry. I use this over both my Ergo and my Tula without problems, since it snaps to itself, and not to the carrier. $49.95 on Amazon.com
- AppleCheeks Swim Diaper - whether you use cloth or disposable diapers, reusable swim diapers just make sense! They contain accidents without weighing your baby down - and many pools require them before the will allow your baby into the water. This one snaps on, making it easier than pull-up styles to clean up if there are any accidents, and is trim enough to fit under your baby's swim suit - or you can just use it as is. Perfect for swimming lessons, backyard pools, and trips to the beach. Available in 2 sizes (7-23 lbs, and 18-35 lbs), these $19 from Nicki's Diapers
- Project Pomona Cargos - These pants are hand-made in the USA and fit equally well over disposables or cloth diapers. They are also so much easier to get on and off your squirmy toddler - and fit much longer thanks to the cuff styling! You can read our full review of these pants here. $29.95 from Amazon.com or shop Project Pomona for more fabric and style choices.
- Mally Bib - with a magnetic closure that slides to adjust the neck size, these reversible bibs just make sense. They are made from wipe-able, baby-safe leather, have a pocket, and wash off easily - plus they stick to the fridge for easy storage in between meals! From 34.99 from Amazon.com
- KidCo GoPod Portable Activity Seat - this thing has been a lifesaver for us. It is light-weight enough to carry around with you and folds up as compactly as a camping chair - but it is made just for babies! With little rings to clip on toys, and cup holders to corral snacks and sippy cups, this seat has contained my active toddler in the yard, at the soccer field, and while I went to physiotherapy appointments. $49.95 from Amazon.com
- ezpz Less Mess Happy Mat - promising to make meal times more about fun and less about mess, these dishwasher and microwave safe 100% silicone placemats with a built-in plate will be hitting shelves in late November 2014. This is one gift that's going to be under our tree for sure. $24.95 from ezpz.
Christmas Gifts for Moms
Entering parenthood brings big changes. Below are some ideas new and soon-to-be moms are sure to enjoy!
Featured Gifts for Moms
- Chewbeads Perry Necklace - a stylish necklace that is made of 100% silicone (the very same stuff used for pacifiers), making it safe for baby to chew on. Great for getting babies to focus while breastfeeding! $35.99 from Little for Now
- Cloth Diaper Key Chain - for every mom that loves cloth diapers, a miniature version can be a cute statement! This one, made by Weensy Baby on Etsy, is $6. Plus save $5 on your very first purchase using my referral code Etsy referral code
- Maxwell Designs Stow it All Clutch - this bag is bound to be a favorite. It doesn't look like a diaper bag, but it's big enough to disguise a few diapers and wipes for quick trips around town, or you can use it to carry cosmetics or other items while traveling. Made in Canada, machine washable, and available in lots of designer prints, $34 CAD from Maxwell Designs.
- Angel Baby Shampoo & Body Wash - it says baby, but this foaming wash safe and gentle, making it perfect for the whole family. Plus, it works wonderfully as a shaving gel replacement - it will leave your legs silky smooth! $9.99 from Earth Mama Angel Baby*
- A stylish diaper bag - shown here is the Petunia Pickle Bottoms Boxy Backpack, which has the flexibility of carrying it with either a messenger-style shoulder strap or backpack straps. It also features a built-in changing station and zip-out detachable change pad. You can find more great bag suggestions in our article here. Available starting at $134 on Amazon.com
- Loohoo Wool Dryer Balls - if you're not yet familiar with felted wool dryer balls, you need to get some! Add a few to your dryer instead of a fabric softener sheet, and soften your laundry naturally - plus reduce your drying times, too! Since they can be a bit of a splurge, they make a great gift. Package of 5 $46.25 from Loo-Hoo Wool Dryer Balls*
- Dimpleskins Naturals Sweet Cheeks Body Balm - we love this all-natural lotion, which smells of lavender and vanilla, and is great for dry patches, eczema, and stretch marks too! $12.39 from Well.ca
- Tula Baby Carrier - babies of all ages benefit from the special times spent close to mom in a carrier, and carriers can be such a blessing for moms, who often appreciate the ability to go hands-free, too! Tula offers ergonomical soft-structured carriers that can be used to carry a baby in front or on mom's back. $149 USD from Nicki's Diapers and $169 CAD from Lagoon Baby*
- Gift Cards - when in doubt, let mom choose. She might enjoy a gift card for a clothing retailer, music, or Amazon. Gift cards don't have to cost you anything either if you think outside of the box - you might be able to offer her a free service, such as a couple hours of babysitting so she can enjoy a bit of time to herself!
Ideas for Stocking Stuffers
Looking for a little extra something? Our list of stocking stuffers offers affordable ideas for just about anyone on your list.
Featured Stocking Stuffers
- Funky Fluff Wet Bag - perfect for dirty diapers on the go, wet swimming clothes, or just about anything you can think of. This is our absolute favorite wet bag, with 2 zipped pockets and "gusset" that makes the 2nd pocket functional even when the first one is full. $14.99 from Lagoon Baby
- Earth Mama Angel Baby Lip Balm - these certified organic, all-natural lip balms really do work, and they smell awesome too! The definite favorite in our house is Coconut Smoothie, but it comes in Lavender Meringue and Mint Herbal as well. $3 each from Earth Mama Angel Baby*
- Wee Woollies Merino Beanie - we've completely fallen for the merino wool baby clothing and sleep sacks available from Wee Woollies. Merino wool is super soft and machine washable (it even goes in the dryer!) and keeps baby naturally insulated. These beanies are perfect for year round use, and don't fall off! Available in a range of colors, with sizes for newborns up to size 6, $17.99 from Wee Woollies
- Puppet from Cate & Levi - hand-made in Canada from upcycled wool sweaters, this fair-trade puppet is bound to get into all sorts of mischief in the hands of a little one. Available in lots of cute animals & colors, $24.95 from Mighty Nest
- Geffen Baby Absorbers* - as baby grows, often so does your need for additional absorbency, especially overnight. These inserts are made from hemp and organic cotton, and are designed to work with virtually any cloth diaper brand! $21.98 for 6 pack from Nicki's Diapers
- Bamboo Clothes Pins - Sunlight is an excellent all-natural stain remover for clothes, towels, cloth diapers, and more. If you're looking to save energy, consider line-drying one or more loads of laundry each week. Pack of 25 for $8.95 from Mighty Nest
- Thirsties Fab Wipes - with soft cotton velour on one side and microfleece on the other, these luxurious wipes are great for bath time and cleaning little hands and faces, or you can use them with your cloth diapers. 6 for $11.75 from Diaper Safari
Christmas Cloth Diapers!
A Christmas cloth diaper can be cute for baby's first Christmas photos, or as a gift too! In our latest article, we've rounded up 11 Christmas-themed cloth diapers!
What Are You Giving for Christmas?
We hope you've enjoyed this list of products and gift ideas. Please consider sharing this or pinning it for future reference! And - if you have another great idea, we'd love if you would share it with us in the comments below - I could definitely use a few suggestions as well!
Wishing you hope, joy, and love this holiday season!
Disclosure: The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own, and
your experience with the product may differ from mine. I only recommend
products or services I use
personally and believe will be good for my readers. This article contains affiliate links. I am disclosing this
in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255:
“Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in
Advertising.” For more information, see our Disclaimer and Copyright.
Go to top of
Enjoy this page? Share it!